The Determinants of Pro-Poor Growth: Evidence from Brazil
- Pro-poor, Pro-rich, Growth, Determinants, Brazil
Copyright (c) 2019 Joseph I. Amuka,Fredrick O. Asogwa,Anthony O. Agu,Chukwuma C. Ugwu
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Pro-poor growth is good for poverty eradication if it can be achieved. Brazil is a good example of a country where growth was pro-poor between 1981 and 2014 but the pro-poor growth was reversed in 2015. The paper examined what led to pro-poor growth between 1981 and 2014 and what may have been responsible for the reversal in 2015. The dynamic ordinary least squares method was used to analyse Brazilian data from World Bank Development Indicators between 1981 and 2014 for the determinant of pro-poor growth. Regression analysis shows that job creation was responsible for the pro-poor growth between 1981 and 2014. Moreover, rise in unemployment rate in 2015 was responsible for the reversal in the pro-poor growth. The result has good policy implication for poverty and inequality reduction in Brazil.
- Bolliger F.P. and de Oliveira O.C. 2010. Brazilian Agriculture: A Changing Structure.Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235635521
- Cantillon B., Collado D. and Van Mechelen N. 2015. The end of decent social protection for the poor? The dynamics of low wages, minimum income packages and median household incomes. Herman Deleeck Centre for Social Policy, CSB Working Paper, NO.15/01
- Chhibber A. and Nayyar G. 2007. Pro-Poor Growth: Explaining the Cross-Country Variation in the Growth Elasticity of Poverty. Brooks World Poverty Institute, Working Paper No.14
- Chenery H., Ahuwalia M.S, Bell C.L.G, Duloy L.J.H and Jolly R. 1979. Redistribution with Growth. Published for the World Bank and the Institute of Development Studies University of Sussex Oxford University Press
- Cord L, Lopez L.H., and Page J. 2003. When I Use a Word: Pro-poor Growth and Poverty Reduction. World Bank Report No. 32886. Retrieved from http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/563011468135584801/When-I-use-a-word-pro-poor-growth-and-poverty-reduction
- De la Fuente B. P. 2016. Economic Growth and Poverty Reduction. European Economic Briefs, Issue o19
- Djeneba D. 2018. The Quest for Pro-poor and Inclusive Growth: The Role of Governance. PSE Working Paper No.2018-50.
- Dollar, D. and Kraay A., 2001. Growth is Good for the Poor. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No. 2587
- Fatima M and Ali Khan R, 2018. People’s Definition and Escape from Poverty Trap. Journal of Economics and Political Economy, 5(2),219-233
- Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development. 2006. Pro-Poor Growth. A Focal Point of Development Policy. Development Education and Information Division Special 146. Adenauerallee 139 - 141 53113 Bonn Germany.
- Jafar B. 2015. Why Trickle-Down Economics Won’t Eliminate Poverty. World Economic Forum
- Grant G. 2005. Pro-Poor Growth and the Poorest. Chronic Poverty Research Centre, Background Paper for the Chronic Poverty Report 2008-09
- Jmurova A. 2017. Pro-Poor Growth: Definition, Measurement and Policy Issues. MPRA Paper No. 85397
- Kakwani N. and Pernia E.M. 2000. What is Pro-poor Growth? Asian Development Review, 18(1) 1-16
- Kakwani N., Khandker S. and Son H. 2004. Pro-poor Growth: Concepts and Measurement with Country Case. International Poverty Centre, United Nations Development Programme Working Paper NO.1
- Kakwani N., Soares F. and Son H.H. 2005. Conditional Cash Transfers in African Countries. Research Project Report, United Nations Development Programme International Poverty Centre
- Klasen S. 2007. Determinants of Pro-poor growth. Idrc 2020 focus brief on the World’s Poor and Hungry People.
- Lustig N, Arias O and Rigolini J. 2002. Poverty Reduction and Economic Growth: A Two-Way Causality. Inter-American Development Bank Washington DC, Sustainable Development Department Technical Paper Series (NO. POV-111)
- Marcus R. 2014. Child Protection Violations and Poverty in Low-Income Countries,Shaping Policy for Development, odi.org
- Menezes-Filho N. and. Vasconcellos L. 2004. Has Economic Growth Been Pro-Poor in Brazil? Why?
- Operationalising Pro- Poor Growth” A joint initiative of AFD, BMZ (GTZ, KfW Development Bank), DFID, and the World Bank. A Country Case Study on Brazil
- Nallari R and Griffith B. 2011. Understanding Growth and Poverty: Theory, Policy, and Empirics. The World Bank, 1818H Street NW, Washington DC 20433
- Ogujiuba K. and Alehile S.K. 2011. Inclusive Growth in Nigeria: Policy Issues and Options for Poverty Reduction. International Journal of Social and Economic Research 1 (!) 71-82
- Olaogun J. 2008. Patterns of pro-poor Growth and its determinants: Empirical illustration from Individual countries. ESDS International Annual Conference, 2008
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). 2013a How's Life? 2013: Measuring Well-being, OECD Publishing. doi: 10.1787/9789264201392-en
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). 2011b. Together for Better Public Services: Partnering with Citizens and Civil Society, Public Governance Reviews, OECD Publishing. doi: 10.1787/9789264118843-en
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). 2010 Joint Learning Event: Promoting Pro-Poor Growth. JLP-PPG Briefing Note 1, June 2010
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). 2009. Promoting Pro-Poor Growth Employment. Development Assistant Committee, Network on Poverty Reduction (POVNET)
- Overseas Development Institute. 2008. Pro-poor growth and development: Linking economic growth and poverty reduction. Briefing Paper No.33
- Page J. 2005. Strategies for Pro-poor Growth: Pro-poor, Pro-growth or Both? Journal of African Economies, 15(4), 510–542
- Pasha H.A and Palanivel T. 2004. Pro-Poor Growth and Policies: The Asian Experience. Asia-Pacific Regional Programme on the Macroeconomics of Poverty Reduction, United Nations Development Programme.
- Son H.H. 2007. Pro-Poor Growth: Concepts and Measures. Technical Note Series, Economics and Research Department Notes No.22, Asian Development Bank
- Timmer C.P. 2004. The Road to Pro-Poor Growth: The Indonesian Experience in Regional Perspective. Center for Global Development Working Paper NO 38
- United Nations Organization. 2012 Social protection: A development priority in the post-2015 UN development agenda. Thematic Think Piece, ECA, ILO*, UNCTAD, UNDESA, UNICEF
- White H. and Anderson E. 2001. Growth versus distribution: Does the pattern of growth matter? Development Policy Review, 19, (3)
- World Bank. 2018. Development Indicators
- World Bank. 2016. Development Indicators