Preparation of Series Schiff Bases and Studying of their Liquid Crystalline Behavior
Our study deals with preparation of two types of imine compounds differ in the type of terminal group, where one of them has a terminal carboxyl group COOH while the other contains methoxyOCH3 as a terminal group. In the first part of this research it was Identification by spectroscopy methods using infrared IR and nuclear magnetic resonance H NMR spectrum, besides elemental analysis shows the exact chemical structure of the expected synthesized compounds. In the second part was the study of liquid-crystalline behavior by polarized optical microscopy POM and differential scanning calorimetry DSC that showed a liquid crystal phase in the compounds that has odd number of carbon atoms in the terminal chain compounds in the first series, while the second series compounds showed liquid crystal phase in the compounds that containing even number of atoms of carbon in the terminal chain.
- GehadG Mohamed, Mohamed MohamedOmar ,Ahmed Mohamed Hindy ," Metal Complexes of Schiff Bases: Preparation,Characterization, and Biological Activity", Turk. J Chem, 2006; 30 , 361- 382.
- O.lehmann,"Liquid Crystal" ,Ber 1908;41:3774
- Maier W. and Saupe A.; Saupe "Eineeinfachemolekularetheorie des nematischenkristallinflussigenzustandes". Z. Naturforsch. A (in German)1958.13: 564-566
- G.W.Gray,"The Chemistry of Liquid Crystal ",Philosophical transaction of the society of London1983 ,series.A,Ch.1,p.77,
- S.T.,L.K. ,Ong, S.T. Ong, G.Y. YeapandJ.P.W. Wong ., " Synthesis andmesomorphic properties of new Schiff base esterswith different alkyl chains". Chin. Chem. Lett., 2009, 20: 767-770
- Anthony S. Travis "Manufacture and uses of the anilines: A vast array of processes and products" In ZviRappoport., The chemistry of Anilines 2007 Part 1. Wiley. p. 764. ISBN 978-0-470-87171-3
- A.I. Vogel , ''Practical Organic Chem. Longman "., FIFTH EDITION Group Ltd .,London , 1989
- G.W. Gray ,M. Hird ,D.L. acq and K.I.Toyne ,"behavior of organic compounds in liquid crystal phase " , Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst., 1989; 172,165
Copyright (c) 2019 Bari Muhamd Islamallah
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.