Consonant Insertion in Iyinno: A Critique
- Epenthesis; Associative Morpheme; Vocalic Anchor; Hiatus, Possession.
Copyright (c) 2020 Abiodun Samuel Ibikunle,Nureni Oluwaseyi Bakre,O̩lalekan Malik Adebayo
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Unlike vowel insertion (epenthesis), consonant insertion is a rare occurrence in languages. It is against this backdrop that this study examines the occurrence of consonant insertion in Ì̩yí̩nnó̩ as claimed by Ibikunle (2008:122). He (Ibikunle 2008:122) claimed that, there is an insertion of voiced bilabial nasal [m] between two nouns while combining them to form new words. This paper shows that, the voiced bilabial nasal [m] found between two nouns in the lect is not the case of consonant insertion but rather, an associative morpheme (a genitive marker) [mὲ] which has lost its vocalic anchor as a result of hiatus resolution across morpheme boundary. Also, our study reveals that, after [mέ] has lost its vocalic anchor, the nasal feature of [m] got transferred to the (oral) V1 of the second noun across morpheme boundary.
- Arohunmolase, O. ( 2006).A Brief Linguistics Desription of Ìígau and Ìyínnó̩ and the Outline of the Social and Historical Situation of the Languages and their Communities. Ondo:Lekoba Publishers.
- Elugbe, B. (2001). The Classification of Akpes and ÀÍKA(Unpublished).
- Ibikunle. (2008). Aspect of phonology of Ayánrán. Project work submitted to the Department of Linguistics & Languages, Adekunle. Ajasin. University. Akungba.
- Ibikunle. (2014). An Autosegmental phonology of Ìyínnó̩. Unpublshed M.A. Project submitted to the Department of Linguistics & African Languages, University of Ibadan, Ibadan.
- Oyebade, F. (2008). A Course in Phonology. Ijebu Ode: Shebiotimo Publications.
- Salffner, S. (2009). Tone in the Phonology, Lexicon and Grammar of Ukaan. PhD Dissertation London: University of London.