Psychological Factors that Affect English Speaking Performance among Malaysian Primary School Pupils
- Speaking English, Physiological Factors, Primary School Pupils
Copyright (c) 2019 Nazifullah Nijat,Hamza Atifnigar, Kanageswary Chandran, Siva Letchumi Tamil Selvan, Vijayaletchumy Subramonie
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Speaking is considered as one of the most important skill in learning a language especially English but many language learners find it difficult and need much effort to produce acceptable utterances in English. The aim of this study is to investigate Psychological factors that become obstacles to spoken English among Malaysian primary school pupils, and suggest possible solutions from the student’s perspectives to overcome the obstacles. For conducting current research, a questionnaire was used to collect data and identify the factors that affect students speaking performance, and find out possible solution from the students’ perspectives. After the data analysed, it was noticed that majority of students were the victims of the common physiological factors such as fear in the class, shyness and anxiety. Most pupils did not have confident to speak because they felt fear to speak in English. While some other were felling shy and anxious when speaking in the class. Thus, pupils suggested solutions like interesting activities, encouraging learning atmosphere, a good rapport between teacher and students to help them to overcome these psychological factors that hinder them to speak in English.
- Aftat, M. (2008). Motivation and Genuine learning. Retrieved October 24, 2018 from http://www.englishteacher1.com/motivation.html
- Ariyanthi (2016) EFL Learners’ Levels of Classroom Performance Anxieties and Their Causes in Classroom Speaking Activities in Afganistan. International Journal of English and Education. 2 ,2278-4012.
- Babu, R. (2010). Teaching Spoken English for Non-native Students: Problems. Solutions and Techniques.
- Baker, J and H. Westrup. (2006). Essentials Speaking Skills. London, Continuum.
- Bowen, R. (2005) Speaking Difficulties Encountered by Young EFL Learners. International Journal on Studies in English Language and Literature (IJSELL). 2 (6), 2347-3126
- Brown, H. D., & Lee, H. (1994). Teaching by principles: An interactive approach to language pedagogy (Vol. 1, p. 994). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall Regents
- Brown, H.D. (2001). Teaching by Principles. An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall.
- Chinmoy,S.(2007). Sure-fire Ways to Help Teens and Adults Overcome Shyness. Retrieved October 24, 2018, from http://www.srichinmoybio.co.uk/2007/07/how-to- overcomeshyness.html
- Dawood, A. M. (2015). Motivating Reluctant EFL Students to Talk in Class: Strategies and Tactics. Theory and Practice in Language Studies, 5(8), 1703-1709.
- Diao,N. Shamela,H. (2013).Low Speaking Performance in Learners of English. Masaryk , University Brno.
- Elhadi, N. (2015). Psychological Factors Affecting Sudanese EFL Learners’ Oral Performance. English in language classrooms: World Applied Sciences Journal, 17(10), 1287-1297.
- Erny, H. (2014). An Analysis of Factors Affecting Poor Speaking Skills of the Students. Retrieved October 24, 2018 fromhttps://www.researchgate.net/publication/319298348
- Gebhard, G.J. (2000). Teaching English as a Foreign or Second Language. USA: The University of Michigan Press.
- He & Chen (2010). The Relationship Between Self-Esteem and the Oral Production of a Second Language. University of Michigan.
- Heron, T. 2005. Shyness & Social Anxiety. Newcastle: North Tyneside and Northumberland Jennifer M. Bonds-Raacke & John D. Raacke, 2014 https://he.kendallhunt.com/sites/default/.../Bonds_Raacke_Research_2e_Ch4.pdf
- Kayi, H. (2006) Teaching Speaking: Activities to Promote Speaking in a Second Language http://iteslj.org/Articles/Kayi-Teaching Speaking.html
- Khadidja (2016). Psychological Factors That Hinders Students from Speaking in English Class. Journal of Education and Practice. 3, 2222-1735.
- Lai, M.L. & Seyedeh, M. A. (2017). An Analysis of Factors Influencing Learners’ English Speaking Skill. International Journal of Research in Education.
- Liu, M. & Huang, W. (2010). An Exploration of Foreign Language Anxiety and English Learning Motivation. Education Research International.
- Mas, D.I. (2016). Students’ Motivation in Speaking English. Journal of English Educator Society. 1, 31- 48. Mental Health NHS Trust.
- McDonough, J. and C. Shaw. (2003) Materials and Methods in ELT: a teacher’s guide. Malden, MA; Oxford: Blackwell.
- Misbah, N. , Mohamad, M. , Yunus, M. and Ya’acob, A. (2017) Identifying the Factors Contributing to Students’ Difficulties in the English Language Learning. Creative Education, 8, 1999-2008. doi: 10.4236/ce.2017.813136
- Nunan, D. (1999). Second Language Teaching and Learning. Boston: Heinle Publishers
- Ormrod, J.E.(2008).Educational Psychology: Developing Learners. New Jersey.Pearson/Prentice Hall.
- Park H, Lee A.R. (2005). L2 Learners’ Anxiety, Self-confidence and Oral Performance. Proceedings of The10th Conference of Pan-Pacific Association of Applied Linguistics. Edinburgh University.
- Pesce, C. (2011). Speak Up! Asian EFL Journal,10 (4). 120 – 125.
- Pinter, A. (2006). Teaching Young Learners. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Raba, A. A. A. (2017). The influence of think-pair-share (TPS) on improving students’ oral communication skills in EFL classrooms. Creative Education, 8(01), 12.
- Riasati, M. J. (2012). EFL learners’ perception of factors influencing willingness to speak
- Richard, J.C. (2008). Teaching Listening and Speaking: From Theory to Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge Press University.
- Rusli, R. Yunus, M. M. and Hashim, H. (2018) low speaking proficiency among the Malaysian undergraduates: why and how?. e-Prosiding Persidangan Antarabangsa Sains Sosial dan Kemanusiaan 2018.
- Rusreena, R. Melor & Hashwati, H. (2018). Low Speaking Proficiency Among The Malaysian Undergraduates: Why And How? Proceeding of Persidangan Antarabangsa Sains Sosial dan Kemanusiaan (pp 678-689). Selangor: Kolej Universiti Islam Antarabangsa.
- Sakiroglu, B. & Dikilitas, K. (2012). Language Learning Motivation of Turkish Tertiary Level EFL Students. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 46(0), 3215-3219.
- Schwartz, R.L. (2005). Taking a Closer Look at Struggling ESOL Learners. Retrieved November, 2018 from http://www.ncsall.net/?id=994
- Staab, C. (1992) Oral language for today's classroom. Markham, ON: Pippin Publishing.
- Tanveer M. Investigation of The Factors That Cause Language Anxiety for ESL/EFL Learners in Learning Speaking Skills and The Influence It Casts on Communication in The Target Language Dissertation, University of Glasgow, 2007.
- Zua, Li. (2008). Exploring the Affective Factors Influencing Teaching of Spoken English.
- Retrieved October 24, 2018, http://okarticle.com/html/Thesis/20080104/26.html