The Effect of Outdoor Environmental Education Program on Secondary School Students’ Knowledge, Attitude and Practices towards Water Pollution in Riverine Area of Ondo State
- Ilaje/Ese odo, Water pollution, Riverine Area, Environmental Attitude
Copyright (c) 2019 Samuel Olanrewaju Oladapo, Bright Ogunfunmilakin, J.D. Kukuru
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Water pollution has been a major problem facing people living in riverine area all over Nigeria. This has become life threaten to majority of people living in the area as well as visitors to the area. A descriptive action research design was adopted foe the study and 3 instruments were developed for the collection of data. The population of the study comprises of all secondary school students in riverine area of Ondo State while 200 respondents were randomly selected from 10 schools 5 on the land and 5 on water. The questionnaire titled Environmental knowledge scale (EKS) Environmental Attitude scale (EAS) AND Environmental practice scale (EPS) were used to collect data for the study. Data generated were analyzed using descriptive statistics of mean, standard deviation and T. test. The result of the study shows that there was significant effect of treatment on participants’ knowledge, attitude and practice towards water pollution and that location of school doesn’t have significant effect on participants’ behavior after the treatment based on the findings, it is therefore recommended that participation programme be encouraged at a level of education for solving environmental problems that is peculiar to any community.
- Ajiboye, J.O. and Ajitoni, S.O. 2008. Effects of full and quasi-participatory learning strategies on Nigeria secondary students’; environmental knowledge:Implications for classroom practice. International Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 3(2).
- Akintola, B.A. 2004. Environmental information requirement: Utilization and dissemination in solid waste management organizations in Oyo State,Nigeria. Unpublished Ph.D thesis Faculty of Education, University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Gbademosi, V.T. 2012. Effect of service learning and educational trips instructional strategies on primary school pupils’ environmental literacy in Social studies in Oyo State, Nigeria. Unpublished Ph.D thesis Faculty of Education, University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Ogundipe, R. 2006. Introduction to environment issues, causes, effects, and Solution. Ikofa Commercial Press Ltd, Shomolu, Lagos.
- Oladapo, S.O. 2012. Effect of a participatory environmental education programme On traders;’ Knowledge, attitude and practices in waste management in Oyo State, Nigeria. Unpublished Ph.D thesis, University of Ibadan, Ibadan.
- Sridhar, M.K.C. 1986. Heavy metal contests of some solid waste in Ibadan, Nigeria. Water, air and soil pollution (USA) 29:51-56.