Investigating the Causes and Negative Effects of English Language Speaking Anxiety: A Case Study among EFL Learners at Kandahar University
- Anxiety, Causes, Negative Effects, EFL Learners, Speaking
Copyright (c) 2019 Ahmad Anwari
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The present study has been conducted to investigate the causes of English language speaking anxiety among EFL learners at Kandahar University. Furthermore, the second goal of the study to investigate the negative effects of speaking anxiety. This study uses a quantitative research approach. Similarly, the questionnaire had two parts the first part had comprised 14 items and the second part 7 items and applied randomly. Besides, the data analyzing was performed in SPSS (version, 24) and bring out the mean and standard division. Finally, the findings revealed those factors which caused EFL learners to feel anxiety during English speaking and numbered as follow: (1) I feel fear of making pronunciation mistakes, (2) I am afraid that my classmates will laugh at me when I speak English. (3) I feel worried during Performing communication orally. In addition, the following factors are the negative effects of anxiety on learners: (1) Anxiety limits my speaking fluency, (2) Anxiety causes me to become under pressure during presentation and (3) Anxiety decreases my oral performance and self-confidence.
- Ahmed, N., Pathan, Z, H., & Khan, F, S., (2017). Exploring the Causes of English Language Speaking Anxiety among Postgraduate Students of University of Balochistan, Pakistan. International Journal of English Linguistics.7 (2), 99-105.
- Alemi, M., Daftarifard, P., & Pashmforoosh, R. (2011). The Impact of Language Anxiety and Language Proficiency on WTC in EFL Context. Cross-Cultural Communication. Vol. 7(3), 150-166.
- Alrabai, F., (2014). A Model of Foreign Language Anxiety in the Saudi EFL Context. English Language Teaching.7 (7).
- Alrabai, H., (2015). Improving students’ speaking proficiency in Saudi public schools. International journal of instruction, 8(1), 105-106.
- Al-Seraj, T. M. (2014). Revisiting the Foreign Language Classroom Anxiety Scale (FLCAS): The Anxiety of Female English Language Learners in Saudi Arabia. L2 Journal, 6(1).
- Ansari, M. S., (2015). Speaking Anxiety in ESL/EFL Classrooms: A Holistic Approach and Practical Study. International Journal of Educational Investigations. 2 (4), 38-46.
- Awan, R. N,. Azher, M,. Anwar, M. N,. & Naz, A. N,. (2010). an Investigation of Foreign Language Classroom Anxiety and Its Relationship with Students Achievement. Journal of College Teaching & Learning. 7(11).
- Aydın, B. (2001). A study of sources of foreign language classroom anxiety in speaking and writing classes. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Anadolu University, Eskişehir.
- Aydin, S. (2008). An Investigation on the Language Anxiety and Fear of Negative Evaluation among Turkish EFL Learners. Asian EFL Journal. Teaching Articles 2008.
- Bozavli, E., & Gulmez, R. (2012). Turkish Students' Perspectives on Speaking Anxiety in Native and Non-Native English Speaker Classes. Online Submission.
- Çagatay, S. (2015). Examining EFL students’ foreign language speaking anxiety: The case at a Turkish state university. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 199, 648–656.
- Chan, D.Y., and Wu. G. (2004). A Study of Foreign Language Anxiety of EFL Elementary School Students in Taipei County. Journal of National Taipei Teachers College, 17, (2), 287~320.
- Chaokongjakra, W. (2013). Speaking Anxiety in Foreign Language Learners. ว า ร ส า ร รร าส ร , 31(2).
- Creswell, J. W., (2012). Planning, Conducting, and Evaluating Quantitative and Qualitative Research. Sage publication.
- Dörnyei, Z. (2005). The Psychology of the Language Learner. Individual differences in Second Language Acquisition. London: Lawrence Erlbaum Assoc.
- Horwitz, E. K. (2001). Annual Review of Applied Linguistics 21, 112. Printed in the USA.
- Jackson, J. (2002). Reticence in second language case discussions: Anxiety and aspirations. System, 30, 65– 84.
- Kitano, K. (2001). Anxiety in the college Japanese language classroom. The Modern Language Journal, 85 , 549-566
- Kondo, S., & Yang, Y-L. (2003). The English Language Classroom Anxiety Scale: Test construction, reliability, and validity. JALT Journal, 25, 593–598.
- Liu, M. (2006). Anxiety in Chinese EFL students at different proficiency levels. System, 34(3), 301-316.
- Liu, M. (2006). Anxiety in EFL Classrooms: Causes and Consequences. TESL Reporter 39(1) 13-32.
- Mahmud, J., (2017). Effects and Problems of Speaking Anxiety in Bengali Medium Classrooms of Bangladesh.
- Mak, B. (2011). An exploration of speaking-in-class anxiety with Chinese ESL learners. System, 39(2), 202-214.
- Melouah, A. (2013). Foreign Language Anxiety in EFL Speaking Classrooms: A Case Study of First-year LMD Students of English at Saad Dahlab University of Blida, Algeria. Arab World English Journal, 4(1), 64-76.
- Melouah, A. (2013). Foreign Language Anxiety in EFL Speaking Classrooms: A Case Study of First-year LMD Students of English at Saad Dahlab University of Blida, Algeria. Arab World English Journal, 4(1).
- Mohtasham, L., Farnia, M., (2017). English Speaking Anxiety: A Study of the Effect of Gender on Iranian EFL University Students’ Perceptions. International journal of research in English education. 2(4), 66-79.
- Mukminin, A., et el(2015). EFL Speaking Anxiety among Senior High School Students and Policy Recommendations. Journal of Education and Learning. 9(3), 217-225.
- Na, Z. (2007). A Study of High School Students' English Learning Anxiety. Iranian EFL Journal, 9(3), 22-34.
- Onwuegbuzie, Anthony., Bailey, P., Christine, E. and Daley. (1999). Factors Associated With Foreign Language Anxiety. Applied Socio Linguistics, 20 (2), 218-239.
- Park, H., and Lee, A. R., (2005). L2 learners’ anxiety, self-confidence and oral performance. In proceedings of 10th conference of Pan-Pacific Association of Applied Linguistics, PP. 197-208. 2005.
- Phillips, E., (1992). ‘The Effects of Language Anxiety on Student Test Oral Performance’, The Modern Language Journal 76: 14-26.
- Qzurk, G., & Gurbuz, N. (2014). Speaking anxiety among Turkish EFL learners: the case at a state university. Journal of language and Linguistic Studies, 10(1), 1-17.
- Rafada, S. H., (2017). Major Causes of Saudi Learners' Speaking Anxiety in EFL Classrooms. International Journal of English Language Education, 5(1), 54-71.
- Scovel, T. (1978). The effect of effect on foreign language learning: A review of anxiety. The Modern Language Journal, 76(1), 14-26.
- Sellers, V. D. (2000). Anxiety and reading comprehension in Spanish as a foreign language. Foreign Language Annals, 33, 512–520.
- Spielmann, G., & Radnofsky, M. L. (2001). Learning language under tension: New directions from a qualitative study. The Modern Language Journal, 85(2), 259-278.
- Tanveer, M. (2007). Investigation of the factors that cause language anxiety for ESL/EFL learners in learning speaking skills and the influence it casts on communication in the target language. Master of Education in English Language Teaching Pathway, University of Glasgow.
- Tercan, G., & Dikilitas, K., (2015). EFL students’ speaking anxiety: a case from tertiary level students. International Association of Research in Foreign Language Education and Applied Linguistics ELT Research Journal, 4(1), 16-27.
- Timina, S. (2015). Causes of English Speaking Anxiety among Taiwanese University Students: Proceedings of INTCESS 15-2nd International Conference on Education and Social Science. 1305-1309.
- Tsui, A. B. (1996). Reticence and anxiety in second language learning. Voices from the language classroom, 145-167.
- Wilang, J. D. and Singhasiri, W., (2017). Out-of-class anxiety in a non-English speaking context and its effects on intelligibility and comprehensibility. Issues in Educational Research, 27(3), 620-638.
- Williams, K. E., & Andrade, M. R. (2008). Foreign Language Learning Anxiety in Japanese EFL University Classes: Causes, Coping, and Locus of Control Electronic Journal of Foreign Language Teaching. 5(2), 181–191.
- Woodrow, L. (2006). Anxiety and speaking English as a second language. RELC journal, 37(3), 308-328.
- Yahya, M. (2013). Measuring speaking anxiety among speech communication course students at the Arab American University of Jenin (AAUJ). European Social Sciences Research Journal, 1(3), 229-248.
- Yamat, H., & Bidabadi, F.S. (2012). English language learning anxiety among Iranian EFL freshman university learners. Research Journal of applied sciences, 7(8), 413-420.
- Young, D. J., (1990). An investigation of students' perspectives on anxiety and speaking. Foreign Language Annals, 23, 539-553.
- Zhang, X. (2004). Language anxiety and its effects on oral performance in the class. Retrieved on, 14, 2018.