Impact of Transactional and Transformational Leadership Styles on Employees’ Performance in Nigerian Institute for Trypanosomiasis Research (NITR), Kaduna State
- Transformational, transactional, Leadership style and employee performance
Copyright (c) 2019 Iliya Yusuf Mamza, Idachaba Odekina Innocent, Elam Wunaki Elkanah
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The aim of this study is to determine the impact of transactional and transformational leadership styles on employee performance in Nigeria Institute for Trypanosomiasis Research, Kaduna State. A structured questionnaire was used to sample respondents using simple random sampling technique. Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire (MLQ-5X) was used to measure leadership styles and employee performance was measured using salary, job experience and job satisfaction. A total of 230 questionnaires were distributed to the respondents. Structural equation model was used to analyze data using partial least squares method SmartPLS2. The result showed that transformational and transactional leadership styles has a significant and positive impact on employee performance. Therefore, it saw recommended that Nigeria Institute for Trypanosomiasis Research should practice transformational leadership styles to improve employee performance in the organization in Kaduna State.
- Adamu A. G. (2015). Perceived Effects of Leadership Styles on Workers’ Performance in Package Water Producing Industry in Adamawa State, Nigeria
- Aguinis, H. (2009). Performance Management. 2 nd Edition, Upper Saddle River, NJ, Pearson Education Inc.
- Akpala, A. (1998). Igbo Cultural Factorss that may bear on Management and Organizational Performance in Nigeria. In Imaga, E. U. L. & Ewurum, U. J. F. (eds.) Business Management Topics, 1, Oktek publishers, Enugu.
- Amal, Z. K. & Nosheen, A. (2015). Impact of Leadership Styles on Organizational Performance in Pakistan.
- Aminu, M. I., (2015). Relationships between Organizational Memory, Intellectual Capital, Entrepreneurial Orientation, Dynamic Capabilities and Firm Performance in Nigeria. Doctoral Thesis, Universiti Utara, Malaysia.
- Armstrong, M. (2010). Armstrong’s essential human resource management practices: A guide to people management. London: Kogan Page.
- Ashforth, B. E., & Humphrey, R. H. (1995). Emotion in the workplace: A reappraisal. Human Relations, 48(2), 97–125.
- Avolio, B. & Bass, M. (2004). Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire. (3rd Edition). Manual and Sampler set. USA: MindGarden Inc.
- Bass, B.M.,&Bass,R.(2008). The Bass handbook of leadership: Theory, research, and managerial applications (4th ed.). New York,NY:FreePress.
- Bass, B. M. & Riggio, R. E. (2008). Transformational Leadership. Mahwah, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Bass, B. M., Avolio, B. J., Jung, D. I., & Berson, Y. (2003). Predicting Unit Performance by Assessing Transformational and Transactional Leadership. Journal of Applied Psychology, 88(2), 207
- Belonio, J.R. (2012). The Effect of Leadership Style on Employee Satisfaction and Performance of Bank Employees in Bangkok. AU-GSB E-Journal Vol. 5 No. 2. Pp. 111- 116
- Bennett, T. M. (2009). A Study of the management leadership style preferred by it subordinates. Journal of management studies 91:44-58
- Biswas, S. (2009). Organizational culture & transformational leadership as predictors of employee performance.
- Bizhan, S., Saeid, B., & Vahid B. (2013). The relationship between leadership style and employee performance. SingaporeanJournal of Business Economics, and Management Studies.
- Charon, L. d. (2003). A transformational leadership development program: Jungian psychological types in dynamic flux. Organization Development Journal, 21(3), 9.
- Chiou-shu, J.H & Le-tran, T.T (2012). Factors Affecting Employee Performance Evidence from Petrovietnam Engineering Consultancy J.S.C.
- David, I. (2009).Transformational Leadership Vs.Transactional Leadership Definition
- Dvir, T.M., Eden, D., Avolio, B. J. & Shamir, B. (2002). Impact of transformational leadership on follower development and performance: a field experiment. Academy of Management Journal, 45(5), 735-744
- Fornell, C. & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error. Journal of Marketing Research, 28(1): 39-50.
- Fu-Jin .W, Shieh .C & Tang. M. (2010). Effect of leadership style on organizational performance as viewed from human resources management strategy. African journal of business management, 4(18), 3924-3936.
- Garson, D. (2016). Partial Least Squares: Regression & Structural Equation Models. USA: Statistical Associates Publishing.
- Gadot EV (2007). Leadership style, organizational politics, and employees’ performance. Leadership Style, 36(5), 661-683.
- Glantz, J. (2002). Finding Your Leadership Style. A Guide for Educators; Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, 7(5).
- Grant M.A,Gino F. & Hofmann D.A.(2011).Reversing The Extraverted Leadership Advantage: The Role of Employee Proactivity.
- Griffin, R. (1999). Management (5th Edition) Houghton.
- Gul, S., Ahmad, B., Rehman, S.U., Shabir, N. & Razzaq, N. (2012). Leadership styles, turnover intentions and the mediating role of organisational commitment. Information and Knowledge Management, 2(7), 44-51.
- Hair, J. F.; Ringle, C. M.; & Sarstedt, M. (2013). Partial least squares structural equation modeling: Rigorous applications, better results, and higher acceptance. Long Range Planning 46(1/2): 1-12.
- Hani G.A. (2010). The influence of Transactional and Transformational Leadership on Employee Performance and Organizational Commitment: A Case Study in the UEA Public Sector.
- Howell, J. M., Neufeld, D.J. & Avolio, B.J. (2005). Examining the relationship of leadership and physical distance with business unit performance. The Leadership Quarterly, 16, 273-285
- Jeremy M, Melinde .C & Ciller V. (2012). Perceived leadership style and employee participation in a manufacturing company in the democratic republic of Congo, African journal of business management, .6(15), 5389-5398
- Johnson, S. K., & Dipboye, R. L. (2008). Effects of charismatic content and delivery on follower task performance. Group & Organization Management, 33(1), 77–106.
- Karatepe, O.M. & Kilic H. (2009), “The Effects of Two Directions of Conflict and Facilitation on Frontline Employees’ Job Outcomes,” The Service Industries Journal, 29 (7), 977-93. (SSCI)
- Kotter, J. P. (1996). Leading Change. Cambridge: Harvard Business School Press.
- Mathis, R. L and Jackson, J. H.(2009). Human Resource Management. Mason, OH, USA: South-Western Cengage Learning.
- Muenjohn, N., & Armstrong, A. (2007). Evaluating the structural validity of the Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire (MLQ), capturing the leadership factors of transformationaltransactional leadership. Contemporary Management Research, 4(1), 3-14.
- Muhammad N.R. & Anis-ul H.M. (2016). Leadership Styles as Predictors of Decision making Styles among Top, Middle and Lower Manager.
- Muhammad, A. H. & Kuchinke P. K. (2016). Impact of Leadership Styles on Employees’ Attitude toward their Leader and Performance: Empirical Evidence from Pakistani Banks.
- Mujtaba, B. G. (2014). Managerial skills and practices for global leadership. ILEAD Academy: Florida.
- Ngozi N. & Obianuju M. C. (2015). Talent Management and Employee Performance in Selected Commercial Banks in Asaba, Deita State, Nigeria. European Journal of Business and Social Sciences.
- Northouse, P.G. (2010). Leadership: Theory and Practice. 5th Edn. SAGE Publications California. Obiwuru T.C, Okwu A.T, Akpa V.O & Nwankwere I.A. (2011). Effects of Leadership Style on Organizational Performance: A Survey of Selected Small Scale Enterprises in Ikosi-Ketu Council Development Area of Lagos State, Nigeria.
- Ostroff, C.(1992) the relationship between satisfaction, attitudes,and performance: An organizational Level Analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 77(6), 963-974.
- Ozaralli, N. (2002). Effects of transformational leadership on empowerment and team effectiveness. Leadership and organization development Journal, 24(6), 335-344.
- Phillips, J. M. & Gully, S. M. (2012). Organisational behaviour tools for success. Mason, South-Western Cengage learning.
- Robbins S.P and Timothy J. (2013), Organizational Behaviour, 15th-ed.
- Ronald J.D. (2015). The Effects of Transformational, Transactional, and Laissez Faire
- Leadership Characteristics on Subordinate Influencing Behaviour.Basic and Applied Social Psychology
- Rose N.A, Gloria J.S. & Nwachukwu P.O. (2015). A Review of Leadership Theories, Principles and Styles and their Relevance to Educational Management.
- Shahab, M. A. & Nisa, I. (2014). The influence of leadership and work attitudes towards job satisfaction and performance of employees. International Journal of Managerial Studies and research, 2(5), 69-77
- Srithongrung, A. (2011). The causal relationship among transformational leadership, organisational commitment and employee effectiveness. International Journal of Public Administration, 34, 374-388.
- Tabanchnick, B. G., Fidell, L. S. (2014). Using multivariate statistic (6th ed). Boston: Pearson
- Talat, A., Sana A. Samra, C., &Abeera, N. (2015). Impact of leadership styles on organizational commitment Pakistan: proceedings of the Australasian conference on Business and social sciences, Sydney (in partnership with The Journal of Developing Areas) ISBN 978-0-9925622-1-2
- Tanya R. (2016). A Review of Leadership Theory and Competency Frameworks University of Exeter Centre for Leadership Studies:
- Timothy, C.O., Andy, T.O., Victoria, O.A., & Idowu, A.N. (2011).Effects of Leadership Style on
- Organizational Performance: A Survey of Selected Small Scale Enterprises in Ikosi-Ketu Council Development Area of Lagos State, Nigeria. Australian Journal of Business and Management Research Vol.1 No.7 Pp.100111
- Walumbwa, F. O., Avolio, B. J., & Zhu, W. (2008). How transformational leadership weaves its influence on individual job performance: The role of identification and efficacy beliefs. Personnel Psychology, 61: 793– 825. Weick, K. E. 1984. Small wins: Redefining the scale of
- Walumbwa, F. O., Mayer, D. M., Wang, P., Wang, H., Workman, K. & Christensen, A. L. (2011). Linking ethical leadership to employee performance: The roles of leader-member exchange, self-efficacy and organisational identification. Organisational Behaviour and Human Decision Processes, 115, 204-213
- Washington, K & David R.A. (2014). Effect of Leadership Style on Employee Performance in an Organization: a field experiment
- Yammarino, F. J. & Dubinsky, A. J. (1994). Transformational Leadership Theory: Using Levels of Analysis to Determine Boundary Condition. Personnel Psychology, 47, pp.787-811.
- Yasith W. (2010). Likert Scale Questionnaire for Measuring Employee Performance of the Crest Fashions Pvt.Ltd
- Yukl, G.A. (2010). Leadership in Organizations (2nd Ed.). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.